The Family of Kemmis
Edition 3.2 - 1 May 2010
Table of Contents
Kemeys of Kemeys
The line of descent here followed is given in the M.S. of the late Thomas Wakeman Esq. F.S.A. Mr. Wakeman who lived at Monmouth, amongst his antiquarian researches made a special study of the genealogy of the family of Kemeys, accumulating a mass of valuable information respecting its various branches which has been freely availed of throughout this work. In the Vincent Collections, compiled by Augustine Vincent, Windsor Herald in 1624 from the Tower Records and other valuable materials, there is (Vol. 148) a pedigree of Kemeys which gives the descent of this branch similar to that of Mr. Wakeman with the exception that in place of Sir Maurice (IX) is substituted "William the Great" whilst Walter (XII) is called "Wilcox" and his son William (XIII) is omitted altogether.
- VII. Stephen de Cameis: second son, as it would appear, of Walter de Cameis (VI) of Great Stukeley, Hunts, inheriting his father's lands in Campton, Bedfordshire, and also the Manor of Cameis in South Wales which was held by the service of one Knight from the Honour of Struguil. Witnessed a charter of Gilbert Marshal, Earl of Pembroke and Struguil, without date but necessarily between the years 1234 and 1241, by which the Earl granted lands to Tintern Abbey. (9) Also witnessed a confirmation (10) by William de Cantelupe of a grant of lands by his father to the chapel in his court of Eyton (Eton) Bedfordshire. Died ........Married, according to tradition (11) a Welsh heiress. She was probably of the family of Adam Gwent (Monmouth) who bore 3 pheons on a bend. In a pedigree book taken from an old Welsh book "Llyfr schau," published in Visitations of Wales by the Welsh M.S.S. Society, amongst other Knights Adam of Gwent (or Monmouth) is mentioned thus "Addau o Went a dduc sowter o assur" i.e. Adam of Went bears an unicorn of blue. The same "Llyfr achau" also gives among the arms of the conquerors of Morganwg (Glamorgan), "Kemais, maes o verd a chwpl o arian a thri phen saeth lydan" i.e. Kemais, a field of green, on a couple of silver three arrow heads black. It would thus seem evident that the armorial bearings of this branch of the family originated from this marriage. It is not improbable that Adam of Gwent's was the original Welsh family which possessed Cemeis and that by this match the Kemeys' secured to themselves the possession of that Manor, which previously they had found no easy matter to retain. It certain that subsequent to this date they resided at Cemeis and became identified with their Celtic neighbours. Issue,
- 1. Robert: living 1272. (12) Heir to his father's lands in Bedfordshire and also to lands in Glamorganshire. A free tenant in the Honour of Striguil. Conveyed lands in Glamorgan to William de Vesci (12). Father of Robert, who succeeded to his lands in Bedfordshire (14) and Glamorgan and who is mentioned in 1306 as a free tenant in the Honour of Striguil and one of the jury. (12) In 1305 Mistress Alice la Petite petitioned for redress for injuries done her by Robert de Kemmes and various others , some in the franchise of the Earl of Mardschal in Strogoil (13). He died prior to 1335 in which year by inquisition post mortem John de Kemmeys was found to be his son and heir. (14).
- 2. Jorwerth: (Edward): (12) and probably
- 3. David de Cameys, Clerk in Holy Orders, who in 1287 was presented by his cousin Lord John de Cameys to the living of St. Mary's Pilton, Northants.
- VII. Edward de Cameis: (16) Lord of the Manor of Cemeis: died before 1270 leaving his sons minors; married Elizabeth (16) daughter of Andrew de Bello Campo (Beauchamp) of Beauchampslegh, otherwise Bekaneslegh or Began, Co. Monmouth, a lineal descendant of Blethyn Maynarch, Lord of Brecon, by Eva, daughter of Henry de Grey. The Beauchamp family bore, "arg., 6 lozenges conjoined in a bend gules, on a chief az. 3 scallops or". Issue,
- 1. Walter, who held Cemeis jointly with his brother Maurice, and was a free tenant in the Honor of Striguil in 1306 and one of the jury; from 1296 to 1320 his name occurs in several documents; died s.p.
- 2. Maurice.
- IX. Sir Maurice de Cammoys, (16) Knight: Lord of Cemeis jointly with his brother Walter, whose heir he subsequently became: of Began through his mother, she being heiress to her nephew Andrew de Bello Campo who died subsequent to 1320: a free tenant in Striguil in 1306. Amongst the Knight's fees in Wales mentioned in the Close Rolls of 1314 as apportioned in dower to Matilda, Countess of Gloucester and Hertford, on the death of her husband Gilbert de Clare, is "one fee in Kemmeys which Meuric de Kemmois and Walter de Kemmois hold of the yearly value (i.e. to the Countess) of 20 marks." 22nd. February 1322 Gilbert Clenkarny, Keeper of the land of Usk, was ordered to arrest Meuric de Camoys and another, and on 22nd. April following a writ of aid was issued to the Sheriff of Glamorgan, appointed to arrest Meuric Cammoys and others and to take them to Glamorgan and keep them in prison until further order; on May 18th next the Sheriff was ordered "to release Meuric Kammeys and two others from prison, if there solely by virtue of the King's orders to arrest and keep them until further orders, provided that they each find sufficient mainpernors to have them before the King when he shall speak against them: "(17)13th June 1322 a special commission was issued to try him, with other disturbers of the peace, for making forcible entry upon certain of the King's Manors in Glamorganshire and Brecknockshire, etc., 9 Ed. III, 1335, commissioned with Richard de Penebrigg, Howel ap David ap Grono and Roger de Gouts, jointly and severally, to raise 200 "hoi pedites infra dom. Lawrentii de Hastings de Went Ughcoyd et 200 infra dne... Damorye de Went Iscoid et Edelegyon cum ptin' de Kayrlion supra Usk:" witnessed in 1336 a charter of Hugh de Audley, Lord of Wentloog, Co. Monmouth; as "Maurice de Kemmeys, Knight", also witnessed a grant, dated at Tonebrugge 5th October 1336, by Emericus de Lucy, Lord of Kayrewent, to the Archdeacon and Chapter of Llandaff (17), married Criseley, daughter of David ap Meyric ap Jevan ap Sitsylt; she was descended from Ynir King of Gwent, and is stated in her family pedigree to have been her husband's first cousin. Father of,
- X. Henry de Kemmys: Lord Kemmeys in 1337, also of Began: owner of an estate in Caldicot, Co. Monmouth; one of the jury in 1373 on the inquisition of Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Essex and Lord of Caldicot; married Janet, daughter of Llewelyn ap Howel Melyn, ancestor of the Family of Lewis of the Van, who bore "sable, a lion rampant argent". Father of,
- XI. John de Kemmeys: (18) Lord of Kemmeys and of Began, holding the latter from William, brother and heir of Thomas, Earl of Stafford, as found by inquisition in 1399, by the service of a quarter part of a Knights fee; served on juries and witnessed deeds of conveyance between the years 1374 and 1384 and 1392; married Margaret, Daughter of Rhun ap Sytsylt, Lord of Upper Gwent, who was descended from Ada Gwent and bore "or, a dragon's head erased vert, in his mouth a dexter hand erased, gules," also "sable, a chevron or, between three falcon's jesses argent, tasselled or." Issue,
- 1. Morgan: held Kemmeys jointly with his brother Walter: served on the jury in Wentwood in 1393: died subsequent to 1399.
- 2. Walter.
- 3. Jenkin: ancestor of Kemeys of Began. (see which branch).
- XII. Walter de Kemmeys: (20) mentioned in the inquisition of "Rogerus de Mortuo Mari, Come Marchiae" 22 Richard II. 1399, as holding with "M. de Kemmeys" his brother, "Kemmeys unum feodum pertin' ad honorem de Gloucester' in dominiis de Usk et Karleon": married Janet, daughter and heiress of Meyric ap Rhun ap Sytsylt. Father of,
- 1. William.
- 2. John Kemmeys: died 1451. (21).
- XIII. William de Kemmeys: mentioned in the inquisition of "Edward de Mortu Mari, come Marchise" in 1425, as holding "Kemmeys 1 feod'": married Joan, daughter of David ap Howle. Issue,
- 1. John.
- 2. William; married daughter of ........ Thomas of Pencoed. Possibly the same "William Camoys de notre citee de Bion"(Bayonne) to whom, with Thomas ap Reece and other merchants of Bristol, the King addressed a letter dated Mante 11th October 1419.
- XIV. John Kemeys: Lord of Kemeys: mentioned in a conveyance of lands in Magor, 1460: married a daughter of Jenkin ap Philip of Langestone, second son of Morgan ap Llewelyn of Tredugar. Issue,
- 1. Jenkin.
- 2. Janet: married Lelwelyn ap Gwilym Clifford of Trostre.
- 3. Jane: married Griffith Cadwgan of Tristre Vach, and ancestor of the Earls Cadogan.
- XV. Jenkin Kemeys: Lords of Kemeys: married Joan, daughter of Gwilym-Vychan ap Gwilym ap Philip of Bedwelty (23), second son of Morgan ap Llewelyn of Tredegar. Father of,
- XVI. Griffith Kemeys: Lord of Kemeys: married Joan, (24) daughter of Sir Thomas ap Llewelyn-Vychan of Ruperra, Knight of the Sepulchre, and widow of Lawrence Jenkin of Panteg. Issue.
- 1. George.
- 2. Edward, clerk: incumbent of Kemeys in 1535.
- 3. William: purchased an estate (25) called Grandee in Shirenewton (26), as recited in a deed, dated 1638, by his nephew (i.e. grandnephew) Wm. Kemeys; obiit s.p.
- 4. A daughter: married Morgan Thomas Morris of Caerleon.
- XVII. George Kemeys: Lord of Kemeys: taxed in the Subsidy Rolls of 1543-4: mentioned in an extent of Struguil in 1567 as holding Maesgenwith (27) by Knight's service: married Blanche (28), daughter of Edward Lewis of the Van, Glamorganshire. Issue,
- 1. Edward.
- 2. Catherine; married Wm. Morgan, otherwise Wolff, of Werngochan, who died soon after 1582 leaving issue.
- 3. A daughter married Francis Cutte, as mentioned in the will of her nephew Nicholas Kemeys, dated 1636,
- 4. Joan; Will proved at Llandaff 1644, and since lost, wherein she is described as "Spinster, of Bertholley".
- XVIII. Edward Kemeys: Lord of Kemeys: of Maesgenwith; of the Manor house and demesne of Bertholey, which for many generations had been the property of the Thomas family, by purchase from Sir William Morgan of Tredegar, Knight: of other lands in Bertholey by purchase from Richard Thomas and Sir Charles Somerset. By his inquisition post mortem 21 James I he is also shewn to have had six messuages and 100 acres in the parish of Llantrissent, held with Bertholey Manor by tenure of 8 parts of a Knight's fee from William, Earl of Pembroke: also four messuages and 200 acres in the parish of Nash, Co. Monmouth: also a moiety of the Manor of Magor and 156 acres of land in Magor and Redwick, (28a) Co. Monmouth, by tenure of 12 parts of a Knight's fee, both which he had purchased from Edward Butler and Jane his wife, daughter and heiress of Thomas Huntley of Hadnocke Co. Monmouth. He also possessed various lands in the parishes of St. Bride, Undy, Llanvair and Shirenewton, (28b) Co. Monmouth, and the Cribba Mill or house in the latter parish, all which he devised to his son Nicholas. To his wife Joan he devised his Manor of Magor and Redwick, which he had purchased from Giles Herbert of Hardwick, for her life in lieu of certain lands, part of her jointure, which she had joined him in conveying to their son George on his marriage with remainder to their son Edward and the heirs of his body, remainder to their son Nicholas and the heirs of his body, remainder to the right heirs of Edward. In 1585 Escheator for the Co. Monmouth: M.P. for the same Co. in 1592, D.L. in 1599 and High Sheriff in 1592 and 1602: J.P. 1620: died at Bertholey 10th February 1622: Will dated 19th January 1622 and proved at Llandaff 3rd March of the same year; married 1581-2 Joan, daughter of William Lewis of St. Pierre, High Sheriff in 1579: her will dated 20th November 1628, and proved at Llandaff 8th January 1628-9. Issue,
- 1. George: baptized at Kemeys 17th February 1583, the first entry Archdeacon Coxe states, in the parish register (29): matriculated at Jesus College, Oxford, 19th October 1599 (30): admitted to the Inner Temple in 1606: Trustee to the marriage settlement of Chas. Williams of Llangibbwy in 1614: married Mary daughter of Edmund Thomas of Wenvoe (31), she outlived him and married 2nd Sir Richard Basset, who had "the Manor of St. Hilary, near Cowbridge, Co. Glamorgan, wherein standeth Beaupre, his chief dwelling-house and very goodly and fair demesne thereunto belonging": obiit s.p. will dated 15th December 1620 and proved in London 5th June 1621.
- 2. William.
- 3. Edward: whence Kemeys of Bertholey. (See which branch) R. Nicholas, living 1622-8: had lands in St. Bride, Undy, the Gribba Mill and lands in Shirenewton and Llanvair (32) obiit s.p. 1636-7: (32a) Will dated 7th September 1636 and proved in London in the following year.
- 4. Margaret: held lands in Caldicot (33) and Shirenewton, which she inherited from her mother: married subsequent to 1619 (34) Roger Oates of Cefntilla, secretary to Theophilus Field, who was Bishop of Llandaff from 1619 to 1628, their son Roger married Elizabeth, daughter of George Lewis of St. Pierre, his second cousin, and had issue Roger and two daughters all of whom died young, when the lands in Caldicot and Shirenewton went to George Kemeys of Kemeys.
- 5.Cicely: married Thomas Reynolds of Llandtrissant.
- 6. Joan: living 1622-8: of Keventilly, Mon. Spinster: Will dated 19th January 1655, and proved 1st. April 1656 in London.
- 7. Mary: living 1623-8-37; married George Watkins of the Hendre in Llanarth, third son of Thomas ap John ap Watkin of Cwrt Robert.
- XIX. William Kemeys (35):
Lord of Kemeys in 1635, as mentioned in a survey of Eddlogan which adjoins it, of lands in Newchurch, Co. Mon; born in 1593; High Sheriff of the Co. Monmouth in 1629: will dated 26th June 1647 and proved in London 3rd. February 1648; married first prior to 1627, Ann, daughter of William Jones of Treowen, (36) who was High Sheriff in 1615, she was baptized 13th. July 1607 and her will was proved at Llandaff in 1644, but since lost; she brought her husband a fortune of £1000: second, Katharine, daughter of ......, she outlived him and married secondly, Hugh Herbert, leasee of Caldicot Castle, she died 20th April 1684 and was buried at Caldicot where she has a tomb with a very long but much defaced inscription, her will was dated 9th April 1684 and proved in London 2nd. August of the same year; (37) in 1680 she gave a small annual rent charge for teaching poor children in Caldicot. Issue by his first wife,
- 1. Edward.
- 2. William: described as "William Kemys Gent: of Kemeys". obiit s.p.: Will dated 23rd January 1651 and proved in London 13th July 1652.
- 3. Charles: of Usk in 1660. In 1670 by the rent rolls of the lordship of Usk Charles Kemeys was holding several houses and other property in the borough of Usk lately the property of Captain Sandford, which had been left to him by his brother William in 1651. Administration to the Estate of Charles Kemeys late of Kemeys was granted in 1675 to his sister, and afterwards to his half-brother (George) on 7th December 1679 in London incidentally on the latter's taking out on administration to their father William Kemeys. Executor to his brother William: probably father of Charles, of Usk in 1678 and 1693, who is mentioned in a deed of the latter date as being married to Lettice daughter of ........ Jones and widow of William Herbert of Treadam. The latter was living as late as 1690.
- 4. Edmund: under age 1651-2: Executor in 1660 to his brother Edward, when he is described as "of Kemeys": (?) obiit s.p.
- 5. Nicholas: under age 1651-2: ? The Nicholas Kemeys witness to Colonel Edward Kemeys' will in August 1660; probably also the Nicholas Kemeys who in December 1660 petitioned for a foot-company at Dunkirk or a recommendation to Lord General Albemarle, his ancestors and relations having served and some of them having died for the late King, he himself having been trained in service and having been under the Duke of York in Flanders and having attended His Majesty at his restoration, and
having served in the Guards until they were reduced; whereupon the King was pleased to recommend him to the Lord General for the first fitting place of command in the army on account of his loyalty during the late wars and his then distressed condition (38); the Captain Nicholas Kemish mentioned among the men of note who followed King James to Ireland out of France (39); and the Captain Nicholas Kemeys at the battle of the Boyne 8th June 1690.
- 6. Jane: of Kemeys, spinster; Will dated 26th October 1675 and proved at Llandaff 27th October 1675.
- 7. Ann: living 1660, married George Watkins of Eredelargh, Co. Monmouth, who died in 1672.
- 8. Letitia: married Erasmus, son of Isaac Bedloo. She was a widow in 1660, in which year she petitioned the House of Lords for an order that payment should be made her of £1,159. 3.
- 9. by the inhabitants of the level of Hatfield Chase, stating that this sum with interest and charges was due to her, as being owed by them to her late father-in-law on an agreement by which he had built them a church and minister's house prior to 1640. By his second wife,
- 10. George: born subsequent to June 1647: in ward to his mother 1650: held lands in the Manors of Magor and Greenmore as appears from surveys of 1670; of Caldicot in 1673-86 (40): a free tenant by prescription in Wentwood as mentioned by Rogers: (see preface pp. XIV and XV), obiit s.p., administration November 1686 in London by his sisters Catherine Price and Mary Kemeys.
- 11. Katherine: married Charles Price of Llanfoist, who was J. P. in 1700: living 1684-6.
- 12. Mary: probably the "Mrs. Mary Kemeys" mentioned by Rogers as a "new commoner" in Wentwood: living in 1684-6: probably also the Mary Kemeys who had property in Caldicot prior to 1721, as mentioned in a deed of that date.
- XX. Edward Kemeys: of Kemeys and of lands in Newchurch and Llanhennock, (41) Monmouthshire: Colonel in the Royal Army: made prisoner at Tenby 3rd. June 1648 and excepted from pardon. As "Edward Kemes of Kemes Manor, Esq." compounded with the Commonwealth for his estate in the sum of £1,000. Will dated 22nd. August 1660 and proved in London 1st February 1661: married Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Lewis, Knt. (42) of Penmark Place, Glamorganshire, settlement dated 7th February 1647-8: she died prior to 1660. Issue,
- 1. William.
- 2. Edward: High Sheriff for the Co Monmouth 1694: buried at Kemeys 14th June 1706.
- 3. Ann: died unmarried 2nd. December 1671: there is a monument to her as "Ann Kemmeys" in Penmark Church. 4. Frances: heir of her uncle Lewis: married Oliver St. John of Highlight, son of Christopher St. John of Highlight, Glamorganshire (43): obiit 7th October 1722 aet. 76: buried at Penmark.
- XXI. William Kemeys: of Kemeys; High Sheriff of the Co. Monmouth in 1678; mentioned in Blome's List of Monmouthshire Gentry in 1673 as "Esquire, of Kemeys;" also mentioned in administration at Llandaff 16th. September 1681: married Dorothy, daughter of Herbert Evans of Llangattog-Vibon, her will dated 5th July 1718 and proved at Llandaff 29th October 1719; she was buried at St. John's Cardiff 6th July 1719, her name being entered in the register thus, "Mrs. Dorothy Kemeys widd." Issue,
- 1. George.
- 2. Elizabeth: will dated 17th March 1714 and proved at Llandaff 12th May following in which she describes herself as of Cardiff.
- 3. Frances: of Cardiff and of Penmark, mentioned with her sister Mary in the will of Lady Kemeys, first wife of the third baronet of Cefn Mably, (see which branch) dated 27th March 1699: died 20th August 1735, buried at Penmark: will dated 27th May 1733 and administered at Llandaff 5th July 1736.
- 4. Mary: of Penmark Place and Highlight: died 4th December 1751 aet. 82: buried at Penmark: will dated 8th February 1747 and proved at Llandaff 4th July 1752, which she left her property to Colonel Charles Kemeys-Tynte.
- XXII. George Kemeys: of Kemeys(44) under age at the death of his father: inherited estates in Caldicot and Shirenewton on the death of Roger Oates; also described as of Keventilly; one of those to whom in 1708 Rogers dedicate his "Memoirs of Monmouthshire:" High Sheriff Mon. 1695; the George Kemeys, who for Kemeys House, Henrew, (45) and six tenements there was damaged to the extent of £30, per annum by the Duke of Beaufort's enclosure of Wentwood, as mentioned by Rogers: sold his estate of Kemeys to Lawrence Lord Esq. of Banbury, Oxon (46); obiit s.p.; buried at Kemeys 11th April 1722: administration granted at Llandaff 21st June 1722 to Wm. Rice of Caerleon, 16th October 1730 to Thos. Pritchard "the principal creditor," and 11th April 1735 to Ed. Norman of Caerleon, gentleman, for that left unadministered by Thos. Pritchard and Wm. Rice "the principal creditors." He appears to have lived at Keventilly after he sold Kemeys: married Rachel, daughter of Edward Jones of Keventilly,his cousin. Her will is dated 6th August 1712 and proved 3rd September 1712, by which she left her Manors, etc. in trust for her husband for life, with the remainder to Thomas Lewis of St. Pierre and his heirs (47).
Footnotes to Kemeys of Kemeys
- (9) G. T. Clarke's Genealogies of Morgan and Glamorgan.
- (10) Ancient Charters. Bedf. A. 106.
- (11) Wakeman.
- (12) G. T. Clarke's Genealogies of Morgan and Glamorgan.
- (13) Memoranda de Parliamente.
- (14) Thomas Wakeman. F.S.A.
- (15) Peterborough Diocesan Regs.
- (16) Edward de Cameis is mentioned in Welsh records as "Jorwerth de Kemeys," his wife Elizabeth as "Nest", and their son Maurice as "Meyric de Kemmeys" and "Meurec ap Jorwerth de Kemeys" these being the Welsh forms of their Norman names - Wakeman.
- (17) Cal: Patent Rolls.
- (18) John de Kemmeys appears to have been the first to drop the Norman "de".
- (20) According to many Welsh pedigrees, "Walter" is "Wilcock" and is given a son Jenkin, who is made father of William de Kemmeys. (XIII).
- (21) Craven Or d's Collections in Bodleian Library, relating to Heads of English Monasteries and Convents, under Gloucestershire: Westbury Monastery (see Tanner MSS.)
- (23) Wakeman.
- (24) Wakeman.
- (25) From Walter Hughes and John his son in 1552 - Wakeman.
- (26) Shirenewton is a parish 2.5 miles N. from Crick; anciently it was a detached portion of the lordship of Caldicot and the eastern part of the parish is still included in the Manor of Caldicot-cum-Newton, which belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster.
- (27) Maesgenwith lies in Wentwood, a mile N. of Llanvair: in the inquisition in 1307 of Roger le Bigot, Earl of Norfolk and Marshal of England, "Mesguenyth hamlet" is mentioned as one of his possessions; again "Maisguenith mediet' unius feodi" occurs in the inquisition in 1399 of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, and "Mayguewith dimid' feod' per Almar' Lucy," in that of his widow Margaret.
- (28) A sister of this lady married Rowland Kemeys of the Vaindre (see which branch).
- (28a) Redwick is a chapelry attached to the parish of Magor. The latter parish is 7 miles E. of Newport, and 1.5 miles S. of St. Bride.
- (28b) See note to next.
- (29) These early registers have since been lost.
- (30) "Register of the University of Oxford," by Rev. Andrew Clarke, M.A. Vol. II, p. 235. He is described in (typo loss)
- (31) typo loss....Will dated 1th January 1692-3 mentioned his cousins Sir Charles Kemeys and Mr. Oliver St. John, also his (half) brother and sister Charles and Jane Kemeys.
- (32) Shirenewton lies 3.5 miles W. from Chepstow: Llanvair 2.25 miles W. by S. from Shirenewton: St. Bride is about the same distance from Llanvair: Undy is about 1 mile E. from Magor, which is 1.5 miles S. from St. Bride.
- (32a) Nicholas Kemeys probably died unmarried as he is stated to have eloped with Joan wife of Henry Lewis of St. Pierre. The latter died in 1637.
- (33) Caldicot lies 4.5 miles S. W. from Chepstow.
- (34) Wakeman. Roger Oates died prior to 1637.
- (35) In his father Edward's Inquisition post mortem William Kemeys in mentioned as his son and heir, aged 30 years and upwards.
- (36) He built the house of Treowen, which has his arms over the door.
- (35a) Wm. Kemeys bequeathed by his will £10 to "his reputed son James Kemeys." It is probably from this person that various persons of the name of Kemeys of a humble station who were living in Monmouthshire during the following century sprang.
- (37) As Katherine Kemeys. Mr. Wakeman states that it was a common custom in Wales for a lady who had belonged to more than one family to use whichever surname she considered most superior.
- (38) Cal. State Papers 1660-1, pp. 435-44.
- (39) King's State of the Protestants under James II. appendix.
- (40) Mentioned in Blome's List of Monmouthshire gentry, 1673 as "George Kemeis of Caldicot, Gent."
- (41) The parish of Newchurch lies 6 miles N. W. by W. from Chepstow; that of Llanhennock 2 miles N. E. by N. from Caerleon.
- (42) Sir Thos. was fourth son of Sir Ed. Lewis of the Van and youngest brother of Sir Edw. Lewis of the Van, Junr., and inherited from his father Odyn's Fee or Penmark Place: in 1645 he was returned as having £800 per annum; he died 19th December 1689 and was buried in Penmark Church, where he has a monument. Penmark Place in now used as a farmhouse, it has descended from the Lewis and St. John families to Col. Kemeys-Tynte.
- (43) Oliver St. John was a descendent of Oliver St. John of Bletshoe, created Baron St. John 1558-9; the family acquired Penmark Castle by descent.
- (44) Greatly enlarged, if he did not entirely rebuild, Kemeys Manor House 1693 - Wakeman and see preface p. XVI.
- (45) Henrew is a hamlet situated about 1.5 miles S. E. from Kemeys.
- (46) Allen Lord, heir of Lawrence, died 1771; his widow Temparara was patron of the Church of Kemeys in 1829; through marriage with one of her daughters and co-heirs, the Manor descended to the Rev. Wm. Cotton Risley.
- (47) The estate of Geo. Kemeys inherited from Roger Oates reverted on his death to Thos. Lewis of St. Pierre.
Beginning of Document
Table of Contents
Cameys of Great Stukeley
Kemeys of Bertholey
John L. & Irene Kemmis