The Family of Kemmis
Edition 3.2 - 1 May 2010
Kemmis of Killeen
- XXV. William Kemmis, 3rd. son of Thomas Kemmis (XXIV) of Shaen by his wife Anne, born 23rd. October 1777: of Ballinacor and Ballinerin Co. Wicklow: of Killeen, Derry with Meelick, and Corrigeen, Queen's Co.: of 45 Kildare Street, Dublin, (100) aforesaid the fee of which latter he bought: Attorney-at-law: attended one circuit for his father, when the latter was Crown Solicitor for all Ireland: in 1802, when solicitors were appointed for each circuit, he was with his father, appointed for the Leinster Circuit and for the Co. and City of Dublin, and continued so the act after his father's death: with his father, Solicitor to the Civil and Military Departments of Ordinance in Ireland, also Solicitor to the Board of First Fruits until it determined in 1834 - Solicitor to the Treasury and Deputy Keeper of the Seals of the Chancellor of the Exchequer; in 1852 he resigned the Solicitorship of the Leinster Circuit in favour of his son Thomas: 1859 resigned the Solicitorship to the Treasury etc.: died 20th. July 1864 at Kildare Street: (100a) buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery, in the family vault. (100b) M.I. and has a mural tablet in Ballinatone Church, Co. Wicklow and memorial window (in memory of himself and his father) in St. Ann's parish Church, Dublin: married Ellen 2nd. daughter of Nicholas Southcote Mansergh Esq. J.P., of Greenane, parish of Templemore, Co. Tipperary and of Upper Mount Street, Dublin, by Elizabeth, sister of Sir John Craven Carden, Bart., settlement dated 11th. May 1805; (101) she died 10th. June 1816, aet. 32 and was buried in the old churchyard Maryborough, (102) M.I. Issue,
- 1. Willim Gilbert: born 11th. June 1806, B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, Midsummer 1827, of Ballinacor, Co. of Wicklow (103) Derry with Meelick and Clonin aforesaid, Queen's Co.; of Badger Hill and Derrycanton, parish of Offerlane, Barony of Upperwoods, of Ballycarroll, Barony of Maryborough East, of Shronagh and Acragar, Barony of Portnahimch, of Castlebrack, Barony of Tinnehinch, and of Killeshin, Barony of Slievemargy, all in Queen's Co., the whole by purchase as directed by the will of his great uncle Wm. Ed. Kemmis: of Rossnadough, parish of Offerlane, Queen's Co. under the will of his aunt Lady Carden: J.P. for Co. Wicklow and on 3rd. November 1841 D.L.: in 1833 High Sheriff for the Co., 1852 High Sheriff for Queen's Co.: died at Ballinacor 10th. August 1881: s.p.: (105) buried at Ballinatone Church, parish of Ballinaclash, Co. Wicklow. M.I.
- 2. Thomas.
- 3. George, whence Kemmis of Ballinacor. (see which branch)
- 4. Richard: born 26th. February 1813: B.A. Trinity College, Dublin, Midsummer 1833: Attorney-at-law: died in Dublin 24th. April 1887: s.p. buried in the family vault at Mount Jerome Cemetery: M.I. in Ballinatone Church.
- 5. James: born 23rd. September 1815: died an infant aged 6 years.
- 6. Elizabeth: born 20th. November 1810: married 16th. January 1827, (104) Wm. Chas. Quin, 2nd. son of Thomas Quin Esq. of Burleigh, Co. Wexford; of Claremont, parish of Bray, Co. Dublin, subsequently of Burleigh aforesaid, Barrister-at-law and Ecclesiastical Commissioner for Ireland, died 26th. April 1871: she died 26th. September 1889 at Pinner, Co. Middlesex, and was buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin.
- XXVI. Thomas Kemmis: born 19th. April 1807: of Killeen, Queen's Co., Ballinerin, Co. Wicklow, and 45 Kildare Street, aforesaid - matriculated at Brasenose College, Oxford 24th. January 1825: B.A. 4th. November 1829: same year entered Lincoln's Inn: Barrister-at-law: Crown Solicitor for the Leinster Circuit on the resignation of his father December 1852: resigned the Crown Solicitorship September 1859 on appointment as Solicitor to the Treasury, in succession to his father: J.P. for Queen's Co.: died 18th. December 1868: buried in the family vault at Mount Jerome Cemetery Dublin; married 17th. June 1837 Elizabeth Anne, daughter of Rev. Chas. Lambe Palmer of Rahan House, parish of Carrick, Co. Kildare and Vicar of Carberry, sam Co., who bore "az., a chevron or between three palmer's staves and scripts sa:" she died on 24th. March 1893 at Killeen and was buried at Coolbanagher on 27th. of that month. Issue,
- 1. William Palmer, born 1st. April 1840: died 15th. November 1847 and buried at Ballinatone, Co. Wicklow on 18 of that month.
- 2. Thomas.
- 3. Charles: born 18th. November 1844: died 31st. October 1861 at Woolwich, Kent, then a Cadet at the Royal Military Academy: buried at Coolbanagher: M.I.
- 4. Gustavus Richard, born 3rd. May 1846: died 19th. October 1862 at Peterborough: buried at Coolbanagher: M.I.
- 5. William.
- 6. Elizabeth: born 22nd. July 1849: died 14th. September 1878 at Southsea, Portsmouth. 8. Louisa Rosalie, born 15th. November 1852, died 7th. July 1893 at Dinard, France. 9. Florence Jane, born 27th. April 1857.
- XXVII. Thomas Kemmis: born 29th. January 1842: of Killeen, Queen's Co., Ballinerin, Co. Wicklow, and 45 Killeen Street aforesaid: J.P. for Queen's Co.: died 8th. May 1869, s.p.
- XXVII. William Kemmis: born 9th. February 1861 - of Killeen Queen's Co. and Ballinerin, Co. aforesaid upon the death of his uncle Wm. Gilbert Kemmis: Colonel 4th Batt. The Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment: J.P. and D.L., and in 1886, High Sheriff for Queen's Co.: served in South African War 1900-1 and mentioned in Despatches: C.M.G. 1901: married January 1894 Ellen Mary Gwendoline, daughter of the late Algernon Warner Esq. of Stanhope Gardens, London: issue, Harry William Algernon, born 7th. December 1894.
Footnotes to Kemmis of Killeen
- (100) The number of the house was changed from 40 to 45: it was valued by the Poor Law Commissioners at #250 a year.
- (100a) Portrait at Ballinacor.
- (100b) Vault number 3165.
- (101) Under the settlement, her portion was #1,500, to him was secured #1,200 a year out of Ballinacor, out of which she was to have #250 a year if she survived him.
- (102) Vide inscription on tombstone.
- (103) To this estate his father had added the townlands of Upper Ballinatone and Clonerkin: he added those of Lower Ballinatone and Aughavanagh Ram.
- (104) Marriage License, Public Record Office, Dublin.
- (105) Portrait at Ballinacor.
Beginning of Document
Table of Contents
Kemeys of Croham Hurst
Kemmis of Ballinacor
John L. & Irene Kemmis