The Family of Kemmis
Kemmis of Prophetstown, Illinois, USA
Edition 3.2 - 1 May 2010
(c) Copyright 2010 - John & Irene Kemmis
All Rights Reserved
Table of Contents
Decendants of William Kimmis
- 1. William Kimmis: born 1779. Issue:
- A. John William, born 1799, died in 1876, buried in Schenectady, New York, USA. Issue:
- (1).LaFayette Kemmis, born ..., served as a soldier in the artillery in the Civil War of the United States. Issue:
- a. La Fayette Kemmis, born 1870, no sons.
- 2. Samuel D. Kemmis, born 1802, married Mary Rood in his native Washington County, New York. In summer of 1835, the moved their family to the vicinity of Cleveland, Ohio. After a brief stay, they moved to Detroit Michigan. They then removed themselves from Detroit and moved to Illinois. On the road, Mary became sick and died. She is buried some 25 miles east Chicago, Illinois. Mary died in 1837. In 1850, Samuel D. married Susanna Robinson. Samuel D. is buried in the Kemmis Cemetery, Loraine Township, Henry County, Illinois. Issue:
- A. Thompson A., born ..., by Mary. Moved to Montana.
- B. Lydia R., born ..., by Mary.
- C. William H., born ..., by Mary. Married Nancy Blair on 9 December
- 3. Cornelia, born 1805.
- 4. Cornelius Holmes Kemmis, born 15 February 1808 in Cambridge, Washington County, New York, married Adeline Adams on 27 November 1854, the daughter of Luther and Ruby Adams. Moved to Loraine Township, Illinois is 1836 and was a pioneer settler in Henry Co. Cornelius died on 26 January 1876. Adeline died on 1 March 1899. Both are buried in Kemmis Cemetery, Loraine Township, Henry Co. Illinois. Issue:
- A. Quincy A., public school teacher and Justice of Peace, born on 31 October 1855 in Loraine Township, died 9 February 1880.
- B. Addie E., married Harry Roberts, and moved to Sumner County, Kansas where they farmed.
- C. Sarah, born on 12 December 1858 and died 23 April 1862, buried at the Kemmis Cemetery.
- D. Frank E. Kemmis, born on 9 June 1862, married Emma Reynolds on 16 July 1884. Emma was the daughter of Thomas and Martha Reynolds of Whiteside County, Illinois. Frank died on 9 July 1944. Both are buried at the Kemmis Cemetery. Issue:
- (1). Quincy A. Kemmis, born on 13 July 1886, married Harriet Jane Hulslander, who was born on 10 January 1889. Issue:
- (2). Edward Kemmis, born 22 July 1893, Married Anna Johnson, born 15 September 1897. Issue:
- (3). Lenora Kemmis, born 16 April 1889, married Bertice Albert Lodge.
- a. Arvid Edward Lodge.
- b. Darold Lodge.
- (4). Lyman Darragh Kemmis, born 4 July 1897, married Wilma Wildman, daughter of Sylvester G. and Kate Wildman on 7 April 1920. Lyman was a noted breeder of Aberdeen Angus cattle and World War I veteran. Lyman died on 9 September 1967. Wilma was born on 7 April 1902 and died on 28 December 1991. Both are buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Geneseo Township, Henry County, Illinois. Issue:
- a. Lenora.
- b. Mabel. Issue:
- i. James.
- ii. Joseph.
- iii. Barb.
- c. Frank. Issue:
- i. Timothy.
- ii. John. Issue:
- d. Lyle. Issue:
1. Letter written by Senator Walter D. Kemmis, Sidney Montana to Miss
Harriet J. Crosier, dated 16 November 1933.
2. Tombstones at the Kemmis Cemetery, Loraine Township, Henry County,
3. Birth and death records, Henry County Recorder's Office, Henry County,
4. Various SAR and DAR membership applications and lineage documents.
Table of Contents
Kimmis of Sushan, New York, USA
Kimmis of Novi, Michigan, USA
Crosier of ..., ..., USA
John L. & Irene Kemmis